What Is JMM?
JMM (Japanese Media Manager) is an anime cataloging program designed to automate the cataloging of your collection regardless of size and amount of files. Unlike other anime cataloging programs, JMM removes the tedious (and boring) task of having to manually add every file and manually input the file information. You have better things to do with your time so let JMM handle your collection.
JMM is completely free, it's open-source (we're on GitHub) and is able to connect with some of the most popular media center programs out there. Take a look at the available programs and plugins offered by JMM.
JMM Supported Plugins and Programs
- JMM Server – Shared server component
- JMM Desktop – Windows application
- My Anime 3 – A plugin for MediaPortal (Home Theatre PC’s)
- JMM for Plex – A plugin for Plex (Home Theatre PC’s)
- Nakamori – A plugin for Kodi (Home Theatre PC’s)
- AnimeBuddy – A Windows Store app for Windows 8/8.1/10
Wanna learn more? Of course you do so scroll down to learn more about what JMM can do.
How Does JMM Work?
Metadata from various data gathering sites (data on data action!) such as AniDB, The TV Database and The Movie Database is gathered and complied for use in JMM to add detailed information about the files and series in your collection. Using this data, JMM provides you with complete and detailed information about every single file and series in your collection. The main goal of JMM is to reduce the amount of work you have to by making everything as automated as possible. It’s cumbersome and boring cataloging hundreds if not thousands of files so let JMM do all that boring work for you. This time saving process is possible thanks to AniDB, one of the most respected anime information repository websites on the internet and it’s vast database of anime related data. JMM is able to compare your files by hashing each file and comparing them to AniDB’s database which results in your files being recognized, cataloged and immediately ready for playback with absolutely no additional work on your part. In the rare chance there ever is a problem with the automated process, JMM includes a wide array of advanced tools to identify and catalog any file that was unable to be automatically processd.
While there are other anime cataloging programs available with similar functionality, not a single one comes close to providing the same functionality as JMM. The biggest and most significant difference is the core of JMM, it uses a client-server based architecture as it’s base while other programs just use a client-based architecture. That sounds too technical so let's break it down. Unlike other programs that are restricted to a single PC, JMM can be deployed on one computer and accessed by any other computer on the same LAN or connected to the internet. This allows JMM to be more than just a single program and makes it easy for other programs to take advantage of the information downloaded and compiled by JMM.
Here are some of the key features JMM provides.
- Client-server based architecture allowing for multiple clients to access your collection
- Ability to store your collection on both internal and external media, JMM complies it into it’s database and keeps track of it all
- Ability to have multiple user profiles with their own collection, statistics and permissions
- Ability to generate anime recommendations based off your ratings
- Advanced filtering and sorting options allows you to display and update your collection data however you want
- Information repositories such as AniDB, The TV Database and The Movie Database are supported for gathering and updating data.
- Support for MyAnimeList (MAL) and Trakt.TV for importing and exporting your collection statistics.
- Additionally for Trakt.TV users, support for viewing what your friends are watching.
- Supports three different database types, SQLite, MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Support for every single desktop based torrent program for keeping your collection up-to-date
- Support for multiple torrent trackers (Anime Bytes, BakaBT, Nyaa and Tokyo Toshoka) for downloading
- Support for advanced file management such as file renaming, missing episodes check, duplicate files check, AVDump and more!
Again these are just some of the features provided by JMM, take a look around our site to learn more about JMM and everything it offers.